Tuesday 18 June 2013

Start of the harvest

I have been busy this week making apricot jam, not as much as last year as the crop was not nearly as good. I have put away 8 pots which will please one of my daughters, she loves it.

Tonight I also bottled 4 jars of apricots for the winter and will get some peaches in the next few days to bottle. Tinned fruit is scarce here, very large tins of pineapple and  fruit salad and that is about it. I do miss raspberries, good english strawberries and rhubarb but figs and lemons and oranges are very good.

We also have a bit of a glut with cucumbers and courgettes and are having to be quite creative. I pickled some cucumber slices and I tried Jamie Olivers recipe for cucumber ribbons in a soy sauce, ginger, lime and chilli dressing.
We have had stuffed courgettes, courgette cake, a very nice penne, courgette and blue cheese bake and tomorrow I am making a soup.

The tomatoes are just starting now, the cherry tomatoes on the terrace are nice and slightly acidic and the tigerella are lovely, sweet and very pretty with the stripes.
The huge greek tomatoes are doing well but sadly not nearly as well as Filios`s. Must be the copious amounts of manure he puts in the very deep holes. Next year my preparation must be better.
It is getting very hot now and the only comfortable time to work in the garden is in the evening when there is lots of watering to do.

tigerella tomato
 We still have cabbage, swedes, rocket and spinach and the butternut squash and pumpkins are spreading all over one side of the garden.
The aubergines are flowering well and we have had the first pepper, loads coming soon.

1 comment:

  1. You have a great articles here, I was once a victim of herpes and diabetes patient until I came across Dr Itua herbal doctor online whom cure me and reverse my diabetes and cure my herpes completely. I ordered Dr Itua herbal medicines online through his web store https://drituaherbalcenter.com/shop/ Dr Itua instructed me on how to drink the herbal medicines for two weeks which I did, the herbal medicines works for me very well in a way that it's boost my immune system and I have not experience any outbreak ever since 4 years now I drank Dr Itua herbal medicines. I have recommended 3 of my close friends to this wonderful herbal doctor and they are all cure now, Ellen suffered from breast cancer, Lori suffered from lungs cancer,Jose suffered from Hiv/Aids and Mary suffered from chronic disease they are all well now through the help of Dr Itua herbal medicines. So I'm going to save a lot of soul on here suffering from any kind of incurable disease or have any health challenge to contact Dr Itua on Email: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com he will restore your health and make you a healthy person.

    ReplyDelete